Leaflet issued (by Socialist Society?) in response to the Vice-Chancellor’s notice of his intention to address a meeting in Mountford hall on 9 March:
Information or occupation
So the Vice Chancellor has decided to come before a mass meeting of students. But how did he reach this decision?
At the beginning of term he told Gazette he did not wish to speak to a student general meeting. Last Tuesday we demanded that he come to our mass meeting and be questioned by the mass of students.
Then he reluctantly agreed to come but now…
Now he announces he is willing to call a meeting for us to make a statement to us and finally – ‘if time permits’ – to answer ‘a few’ questions ‘from the floor’. He has had two months to gather the information. Why is ho so afraid of these questions?
Why does he refuse…
- to confirm or deny if the university has any CBW contracts?
- to reconsider the position of Lord Salisbury as our Chancellor?
- to dissociate himself from racism (the university even offers white only scholarships to South Africa)?
- to disclose information about University investments? ( even the banks – the most secretive of capitalist institutions disclose their investments)
- to admit that political files on staff and students are kept ? (despite evidence from Warwick, Edinburgh, Kent…)
It is because the ‘academic community’ is a sham.
Do business interests, which control the society outside, control this university and even THIS man?
DARE THEY LET HIM TELL THE TRUTH?
THIS IS OUR MEETING – MAKE HIM ANSWER OUR QUESTIONS
GIVE US THE ANSWERS – SATISFACTORY ANSWERS – OR OCCUPATION